German Chocolate Brownies Recipe
Even as a young girl, I was always going through recipe books in search of something new to make. That's how I came across these brownies, a favorite for our family reunions and other get-togethers. They capture the rich flavor of a favorite cake with a few easy steps. Broiling the sweet coconut topping makes it goey and good. —Karen Grimes, Stephens City, Virginia
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- 3. For topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add coconut, pecans, corn syrup and milk; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto warm brownies; spread evenly.
- 4. Broil 6 in. from heat 2-4 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 brownies.
1 serving (1 each) equals 247 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for German Chocolate Brownies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC