- egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- chocolate mixture and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and
- salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating
- well after each addition. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat
- egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool
- completely. Remove waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, egg yolks
- and butter Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a
- thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a
- metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Beat
- on high until frosting is cool and achieves spreading consistency.
- Place cake on a serving platter; frost top and sides of cake.
- Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 590 calories, 33 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 154 mg cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.