German Chocolate Bars Recipe
"My mom gave me this recipe at Christmas when I wanted to make something different and yummy for gifts," notes Jennifer Sharp of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. "The chewy bars can be cut into larger pieces, but they're very rich," she adds.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut-pecan frosting
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. Place cake mix in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Press 2-1/2 cups into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes; immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Drop frosting by tablespoonfuls over the chips.
- 2. Stir milk into the remaining crumb mixture; drop by teaspoonfuls over top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until bubbly around the edges and top is cracked. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours before cutting. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 167 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC