"My mom gave me this recipe at Christmas when I wanted to make something different and yummy for gifts," notes Jennifer Sharp of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. "The chewy bars can be cut into larger pieces, but they're very rich," she adds.
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut-pecan frosting
- 1/4 cup milk
- Place cake mix in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Press 2-1/2 cups into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes; immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Drop frosting by tablespoonfuls over the chips.
- Stir milk into the remaining crumb mixture; drop by teaspoonfuls over top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until bubbly around the edges and top is cracked. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours before cutting. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as German Chocolate Bars in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p12
Reviews for German Chocolate Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review