German Butter Pound Cake Recipe
Cardamom and lemon peel mix with almond and vanilla flavors to add zip to a classic butter pound cake. — Kristine M. Chayes, Smithtown, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:16 servings
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Generously grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and extracts. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 4. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece equals 275 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC