German Bratwurst Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 5 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels (save for another use). Drain, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, cook bratwurst for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Drain skillet.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; set aside. Add the mustard, brown sugar, wine, vinegar and celery seed to skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is hot and bubbly.
- 3. Gradually add cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return bratwurst to the pan; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes longer or until glazed. Yield: 5 servings.
1 each: 425 calories, 37g fat (13g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1046mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0g fiber), 14g protein .
Reviews for German Bratwurst
"Loved the glaze on the brats. Perfect for my German dinner. Will use it again!"
"Excellent! I loved these sausages!"
"Didn't use bacon fat, used margarine. So yummy! A really yummy change from plain bratwurst!"
"where do you get the german sausage,I lived in Colordo and you can buy them almst every store,but in Oklahoma I can't find them."
"We used lean turkey bratwurst and skipped the bacon, trying to make it healthier. Oh so good!~ Theresa"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.