- soda and salt; gradually beat into milk mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before
- removing to a wire rack; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for filling, drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. In a
- small saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and reserved juice; add
- cherries. Cook and stir over low heat 10-12 minutes or until
- thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in brandy. Cool
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add
- confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with 1-1/2 cups whipped
- cream. Spread 3/4 cup filling to within 1 in. of edge. Repeat twice.
- Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with
- remaining whipped cream, reserving some to pipe decorations, if
- desired. Spoon remaining filling onto top of cake. Refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 659 calories, 34 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 329 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.