German Black Forest Cake Recipe
As far as I know, this cake recipe can be traced back to my German great-grandma. When I got married, my mother gave me a copy and I hope to someday pass it down to my children. —Stephanie Travis, Fallon, Nevada
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cherry brandy or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans; grease paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat milk, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into milk mixture.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- 4. Meanwhile, for filling, drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. In a small saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and reserved juice; add cherries. Cook and stir over low heat 10-12 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in brandy. Cool completely.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with 1-1/2 cups whipped cream. Spread 3/4 cup filling to within 1 in. of edge. Repeat twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream, reserving some to pipe decorations, if desired. Spoon remaining filling onto top of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 659 calories, 34 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 329 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC