German Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 3 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips
- 3 whole dill pickles, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, optional
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. Cut steak into six serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a bacon strip down the center of each piece; arrange a pickle half on one edge. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, onion, parsley and bouillon if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. For gravy, skim fat from drippings. Combine the flour, water and browning sauce if desired; stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 481 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 54g protein .
Reviews for German Beef Rouladen
"This was great!"
"This was just the way I remembered. Whole family liked the flavor though some didn't eat the pickle. The gravy was very easy. I just added a little milk to thin it out. I'll be making again."