German Apple Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- 2. For filling, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle 3 tablespoons into crust. Layer with half of the apples; sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Pour cream over all.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake for 55-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 459 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for German Apple Pie
"I might not eat alot of pies, but this is one of the best pies I have ever tasted in my entire life"
"I don't like many fruit pies, but I love this pie. This has become my families favorite apple pie."
"This is the easiest apple pie I have ever made, fabulous each time, very moist. Never fail recipe"
"Creamy and delicious! I was a little unsure about this but it is my husband's favorite apple pie now!"
"This pie was creamy and very tasty. Don't fill too full or it will bubble over and cream will burn on edges of crust."
"Pie is very good took it to a block party and it was a hit. It is now my favorite apple pie recipe."
"Oh boy, this is GOOD! Used my own pie crust: 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup shortening, 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar (mixed with the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract) and 1-2 Tablespoons cold water. ( The liquid amount changes with the weather and today I didn't need any water at all. Once I add the vinegar mixture I mix it with a fork then add additional water only if it doesn't hold together.) After that I followed the recipe exactly (took only 3 apples to make 6 cups) and baked it an additional 5 minutes - 10 at 400° and 65 at 350°. Perfect!"
"I have made a version of this recipe many, many times for a restaurant I used to bake for. It was a favorite dessert there. I just used my regular pie crust and increased the flour to about 1/3 cup. Great recipe!!"
"This was my first time making a pie ever and it came out pretty good :)"
"I am not an apple pie fan, at all. I only use pie filling in a pork chop recipe! I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try. Amazing! This is officially the only apple pie recipe I eat or make! My family is a huge fan, as is anyone I bake it for. Highly recommend."
"I modified the recipe a bit - I added a tiny bit more ice water and about half a teaspoon extra vanilla to the dough, and used equal parts cinnamon, cinnamon sugar and apple pie spice instead of just plain cinnamon.The result was great. I had company for dinner, and they asked to take the rest of the pie home to share with family members who couldn't make it. I'll definitely be making this again."
"This is such a good recipe! I love the creamy filling that goes with the apples! I made this for Christmas and everyone raved about it."