German Apple Pie Recipe
I live in a big apple-producing state, so I think this recipe represents our region well. I tasted this pie many years ago when my children's babysitter made it. I asked for the recipe and have made it many times since.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- 2. For filling, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle 3 tablespoons into crust. Layer with half of the apples; sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Pour cream over all.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake for 55-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 459 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC