- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- For filling, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle 3 tablespoons into crust. Layer with half of the apples; sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Pour cream over all.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake for 55-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for German Apple Pie
"I might not eat alot of pies, but this is one of the best pies I have ever tasted in my entire life"
"I don't like many fruit pies, but I love this pie. This has become my families favorite apple pie."
"This is the easiest apple pie I have ever made, fabulous each time, very moist. Never fail recipe"
"Creamy and delicious! I was a little unsure about this but it is my husband's favorite apple pie now!"