German Apple Cake Recipe
With the long, cold winters we have here, this recipe has warmed many a kitchen. The cake is perfect for breakfast, mealtime dessert or evening snack. I've made it for many parties, and I've always received compliments on it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 4 to 5 apples)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Combine the first three ingredients; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine oil and orange juice and add alternately with dry ingredients to egg mixture. Beat until smooth; add vanilla and beat well.
- 3. Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Arrange half the apples over the batter. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle half over the apples. Top with remaining batter, apples and cinnamon/sugar.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 hour before removing from pan. Cool, apple side up, on a wire rack. Sprinkle top with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 351 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC