German Almond Cookies
A dear German lady, who owned several restaurants, was well-known for these soft cookies. I feel honored to have received a copy of her cherished recipe.Mrs. Edgar S. Stem Jr., Old Forge, New York
102 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (9 ounces) almond paste
- 4 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Chopped almonds and red and green sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and almond paste. Add eggs,
- one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour
- and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls and place 2 in. on ungreased baking sheets;
- flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds and sprinkles if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie (calculated without optional ingredients)equals 81 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.