Georgian Bay Baked Beans Recipe
My dressed-up baked beans are always a hit at barbecues and potlucks. If you can, prepare them a day ahead: They get even better with time.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1. Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl; add water to cover by 2 in. Cover and let stand overnight. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Brown onions in drippings. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir into slow cooker with reserved bacon.
- 3. Combine the brown sugar, stock, coffee, chili sauce, tomato paste, molasses, vinegar, mustard, bay leaves and seasonings. Stir into slow cooker. Add ham hock. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until beans are tender.
- 4. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat. Set ham hock aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into small cubes; return to slow cooker. Heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 399 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein .
Reviews for Georgian Bay Baked Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC