Georgia Peach Ice Cream
My state is well known for growing good peaches. This delicious recipe has been a family favorite for almost 50 years. —Marguerite Ethridge, Americus, Georgia
30 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, 1 cup sugar and salt until
- blended; stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly,
- until mixture is just thick enough to coat a spoon and a thermometer
- reads at least 160°. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat
- Quickly transfer to a bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir
- gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed
- milk. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate
- several hours or overnight.
- When ready to freeze, in a small bowl, mash peaches with remaining
- sugar; let stand 30 minutes. Pour custard into cylinder of ice cream
- freezer; stir in peaches. Freeze according to manufacturers'
- directions. Yield: 3-3/4 quarts.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.