Georgia Peach Ice Cream Recipe
My state is well known for growing good peaches. This delicious recipe has been a family favorite for almost 50 years. —Marguerite Ethridge, Americus, Georgia
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, 1 cup sugar and salt until blended; stir in milk. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 2. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 3. When ready to freeze, in a small bowl, mash peaches with remaining sugar; let stand 30 minutes. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with custard, stirring in some of the peaches; freeze according to manufacturers' directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- 4. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture and peaches. Yield: 3-3/4 quarts.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC