George Washington Cherry Cobbler Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir in water until smooth. Add the cherries and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- 2. For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by spoonfuls over the cherries; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 231 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for George Washington Cherry Cobbler
"doubled the recipe, used fresh Rainer cherries (20 oz) and used 2/3 c. Sugar for double recipe. Otherwise same amounts of other ingredients as recipe called for, for a double recipe. Put in a 13 x 9 pan. Doubled recipe for topping and only sprinkled 3 T sugar on top. Have it in the oven. Will update on the taste. Have vanilla ice cream in the freezer :) ~~~ okay it was fabulous but I will cut the sugar some more in the filling next time. Still a little too sweet."
"Very good....I think I would add a little cinnamon to the breading part for a little more flavor....Love the cherry part though-Yum!"