- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, brown chicken on all sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat. Drain chicken and transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for George's Barbecued Chicken(3)
Sort By :
This recipe is awesome. I made it to the letter. It came out tender, juicy and delicious. After cutting meat from the bone we spooned the sauce over the meat. Definately a keeper in our kitchen. Thanks George, great recipe.
I noted that the first reviewer said this made a lot of sauce and it looked like it would make a lot to me too, so I halved the sauce recipe. While eating the chicken, my husband said, "The sauce is good, but there's not enough of it." lol
My kids LOVED this, and it was really very easy to make. Next time I'll add in more chicken pieces, as it makes a lot of sauce. With the leftover pieces, I pulled the meat off the bones and tossed it with the sauce for sandwiches the next day. DELISH!