- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, brown chicken on all sides in remaining oil over medium-high heat. Drain chicken and transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGeorge's Barbecued Chicken
"This is one of our favorites and I use this sauce recipe on other meats as well."
"This recipe is awesome. I made it to the letter. It came out tender, juicy and delicious. After cutting meat from the bone we spooned the sauce over the meat. Definately a keeper in our kitchen. Thanks George, great recipe."
"I noted that the first reviewer said this made a lot of sauce and it looked like it would make a lot to me too, so I halved the sauce recipe. While eating the chicken, my husband said, "The sauce is good, but there's not enough of it." lol"