You can slather this smoky jam on pretty much anything. It lasts only a week in the fridge, so I freeze small amounts for a quick snack with crackers. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
- 1-1/2 pounds thick-sliced bacon strips, finely chopped
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add shallots and onion; cook over medium heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Stir garlic into onion mixture; cook 30 seconds. Add seasonings. Remove from heat; stir in whiskey and maple syrup. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vinegar and brown sugar; cook another 3 minutes, continuing to stir constantly.
- Add crumbled bacon; reduce heat to low, and cook 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Allow jam to cool slightly. Pulse half the jam in a food processor until smooth; stir puree into remaining jam. Serve with assorted crackers. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Gentleman's Whiskey Bacon Jam in Taste of Home November 2016, p86
Reviews for Gentleman's Whiskey Bacon Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review