You can slather this smoky jam on pretty much anything. It lasts only a week in the fridge, so I freeze small amounts for a quick snack with crackers. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
- 1-1/2 pounds thick-sliced bacon strips, finely chopped
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add shallots and onion; cook over medium heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Stir garlic into onion mixture; cook 30 seconds. Add seasonings. Remove from heat; stir in whiskey and maple syrup. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vinegar and brown sugar; cook another 3 minutes, continuing to stir constantly.
- Add crumbled bacon; reduce heat to low, and cook 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Allow jam to cool slightly. Pulse half the jam in a food processor until smooth; stir puree into remaining jam. Serve with assorted crackers. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Gentleman's Whiskey Bacon Jam in Taste of Home November 2016, p86
Reviews for Gentleman's Whiskey Bacon Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2017
"I was intrigued by this dish and thought it was OK. Most people reacted with a "wow, this is different" but didn't go back for more. I served it over a block of soften cream cheese with crackers. Probably won't make it again but it was fun to try."