Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling Recipe
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- SUGAR SYRUP:
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries
- 1. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine eggs and sugar; place over a large saucepan filled with 1-2 in. of simmering water. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 110°, about 8-10 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; add lemon peel and extract. With a hand mixer, beat on high speed until mixture is lemon-colored and more than doubles in volume. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently fold in butter. Spread into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine boiling water and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cold water and extract. Using a fork, evenly poke 1/2-in.-deep holes in each cake. Spoon sugar syrup over cake surface.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla if desired; beat until soft peaks form.
- 6. Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with half of the whipped cream and top with half of the berries. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice: 323 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling
"i have made this cake a few times my husband loves it,i will make again"