- water. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture
- reaches 110°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add lemon peel and extract. With a hand mixer,
- beat on high speed until mixture is lemon-colored and more than
- doubles in volume. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently fold in
- butter. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine boiling water and sugar; stir until sugar is
- dissolved. Stir in cold water and extract. Using a fork, evenly poke
- 1/2-in.-deep holes in each cake. Spoon sugar syrup over cake
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and
- vanilla if desired; beat until soft peaks form.
- Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with half of the whipped
- cream and top with half of the berries. Repeat layers. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 323 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 154 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.