Sweet syrup soaks into the tender layers of this sponge cake from our Test Kitchen. Complete the presentation with sweetened cream and assorted fresh berries.
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- SUGAR SYRUP:
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries
- Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine eggs and sugar; place over a large saucepan filled with 1-2 in. of simmering water. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 110°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add lemon peel and extract. With a hand mixer, beat on high speed until mixture is lemon-colored and more than doubles in volume. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently fold in butter. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine boiling water and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cold water and extract. Using a fork, evenly poke 1/2-in.-deep holes in each cake. Spoon sugar syrup over cake surface.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla if desired; beat until soft peaks form.
- Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with half of the whipped cream and top with half of the berries. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p209
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2010
"i have made this cake a few times my husband loves it,i will make again"