Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling Recipe
Sweet syrup soaks into the tender layers of this sponge cake from our Test Kitchen. Complete the presentation with sweetened cream and assorted fresh berries.
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- SUGAR SYRUP:
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries
- Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine eggs and sugar; place over a large saucepan filled with 1-2 in. of simmering water. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 110°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add lemon peel and extract. With a hand mixer, beat on high speed until mixture is lemon-colored and more than doubles in volume. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently fold in butter. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine boiling water and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cold water and extract. Using a fork, evenly poke 1/2-in.-deep holes in each cake. Spoon sugar syrup over cake surface.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla if desired; beat until soft peaks form.
- Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with half of the whipped cream and top with half of the berries. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p209
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Genoise with Fruit 'n' Cream Filling(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2010
i have made this cake a few times my husband loves it,i will make again
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Italian Desserts >
- Italian Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >