Gelatin Torte Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 16 squares)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (6 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in the pineapple. Combine cracker crumbs and baking powder; stir into the pineapple mixture. Add pecans and set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Fold into the pineapple mixture. Pour into an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack. (do not remove sides of pan.)
- 2. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water; refrigerate until mixture begins to thicken, about 40 minutes. Stir in bananas; pour over cooled cake layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- 3. In a bowl, beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form; pipe or spoon over gelatin layer. Just before serving, run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Garnish with cherries if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 443 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Gelatin Torte
"Have made it several times. It does take a little longer to prepare than most gelatin desserts, but looks impressive and tastes good."
"i am going to try this for easter"