Betty Hatfield of Aurora, Colorado combines fresh veggies, garbanzo beans and purchased salsa in the zippy party dip. Served with tortilla chips, it's a surefire crowd-pleaser. "I found this recipe years ago and have been making it ever since," she says. "It's one of my husband's favorites."
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups V8 juice
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at
- least 1 hour. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 60 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.