Garlicky Cheddar Cheese Bisque Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Crushed baked pita chips
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add vegetables, salt and pepper; cook and stir 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in broth and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth.
- 3. Process soup in batches in a food processor until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in evaporated milk and cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is blended. Top servings with crushed pita chips and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without toppings) equals 320 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,307 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Garlicky Cheddar Cheese Bisque
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.