Garlic Tomato Soup
Roasted garlic adds a mellow background flavor to this rich, creamy tomato soup from Marilyn Coomer of Louisville, Kentucky. “Canned tomatoes and puree make it a year-round favorite,” she adds.
4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-cup baking dish, combine the garlic and oil. Cover and bake at
- 300° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large saucepan, bring the garlic, tomatoes and tomato puree to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Place
- half of the soup at a time in a blender; cover and process until
- pureed. Return to the pan; heat through.
- Yield: about 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with 2% milk) equals 130 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.