Garlic Tomato Soup Recipe
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 3-cup baking dish, combine the garlic and oil. Cover and bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring the garlic, tomatoes and tomato puree to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add the cream, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Place half of the soup at a time in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through. Yield: about 4 cups.
1 cup: 130 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Garlic Tomato Soup
"I find this recipe a little short on flavor, despite using a few extra garlic cloves. I'll attempt this recipe again, but I'd like to try it with half-and-half, instead of whipping cream, and I might throw in some onion."
"This soup was ok. I wouldn't make it again."
"Yummy. If you love garlic and tomatoes then this is the recipe for you!"
"WHipping cream is the way to go, as I used milk the 1st time to decrease the fat content and it was too runny/watered down. I also used half of the spices, as the garlic gave it a great flavor without them. I found them a little bit overpowering.-MEliss"
"I used a 28 oz can of tomatoes and pureed 1 cup of the tomatoes and used the rest diced.I LOVE this soup! Will make again for sure, it was quite delicious, just the right amount of seasoning. I was told I smelled like garlic the next day though : )"
"I used a quart of canned tomatoes and pureed the other quart. I used the cuisinart hand blender to puree after adding the cream. It was sooo easy and absolutely delicious!"