Garlic Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bone-in beef round steak
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. Cut steak into serving-size pieces; discard bone. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown steak on both sides in oil.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the tomatoes, onion, green pepper and garlic; pour over steak. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 235 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Garlic Swiss Steak
"I have used this recipe for years. I use 1can tomato paste instead of the stewed tomatoes, 1 cup of water & one cup of brown gravy. I also add carrots to make it a one dish meal that can be served with noodles or mashed potatoes."
"now this was an excellent swiss steak! tender and full of flavor. easy to put together. but-pretty hard to find the right cut of meat. Why is round steak so scarce?"
"Could use a little zing-a little mild for our tastes"
"this is a good recipe love it and easy too ! my family wants it quite offen!"
"This was fabulous! It was so quick to throw together and then let it cook itself. The flavors were wonderful! It will become a regular in our household. Would be great for company too."
"This is good as is. Have also used cubed steak- yummy! If you like garlic, add some extra. Even my picky daughter requests this often."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.