This recipe can be prepared a day ahead and can easily be doubled or tripled. I garnish each serving with a dab of sour cream. By adding chicken and rice, you can turn it into a main course.Kathy Schrecengost, Oswego, New York
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender, about 2-3
- minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until
- blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15
- minutes. Stir in cayenne. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 189 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,085 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.