I use many different herbs in cooking, but garlic is my favorite. Many family and friends enjoy this flavorful soup that resembles French onion soup.—Marge Harris, Steubenville, Ohio
Recommended: 77 Foods to Eat When You Have a Cold
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 14 slices Italian or French bread, toasted
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- 7 slices Monterey Jack cheese, halved
- In a soup kettle, saute garlic in butter until lightly browned. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the water, broth, parsley and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks with Parmesan cheese. Gradually stir 1 cup of hot soup into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Cook and stir until thickened (do not boil).
- Place toast in 8-oz. ovenproof bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Ladle hot soup into bowls; top with Monterey Jack cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Garlic Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p41
Reviews for Garlic Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review