- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour half of the
- marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Season steak with salt
- and pepper; add to bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate
- overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining
- marinade for serving.
- For potato cakes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with
- water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until just
- tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and refrigerate until chilled. Peel
- and shred potatoes. Transfer to a large bowl; add green onions. In a
- small bowl, beat the eggs, cumin, salt and pepper; gently mix into
- potatoes. Form into round patties (about 2-1/2 in. diameter). Cover
- and refrigerate up to 6 hours.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry cakes in batches in 2
- tablespoons oil for 8 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add
- remaining oil as needed.
- For onions and peppers, in a large skillet, saute onions in oil for 4
- minutes. Add peppers; saute for about 5 minutes or until peppers
- begin to soften. Add marjoram and red pepper flakes. Season with
- salt and pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the
- heat and keep warm.
- Let steak stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Discard marinade;
- pat steak dry. Broil steak 6 in. from the heat for 12 minutes on
- each side or until steak reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare,
- a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°;
- well-done, 170°).
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain;
- arrange on a serving platter with onions and peppers and potato
- cakes. Heat the reserved marinade and serve with steak. Yield: 8-12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 483 calories, 26 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 1,264 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.