Garlic Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth, divided
- 1 to 2 lime wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- Thyme sprig, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons sherry or apple juice
- 1. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup wine or broth, lime wedges, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Pour into cavity of chicken. Pour remaining wine or broth in roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken with paprika. Loosely tent with foil. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. Remove foil; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally. Add additional wine or broth to pan of liquid evaporates.
- 2. Discard bay leaf and lime wedges. Remove chicken to a serving platter and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat. In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch, bouillon and sherry or juice until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chicken. Yield: 3-4 servings.
1 serving (1 pound) equals 272 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 36 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.