Garlic-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 15 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into large chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Rub inside of chicken with 2 tablespoons butter. With a sharp knife, cut 16 small slits in chicken breast, drumsticks and thighs. Place a halved garlic clove in each slit. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Place remaining garlic in pan. Pour half of the broth over chicken. Combine oil and lemon juice; pour half over chicken. Rub remaining butter over chicken. Combine the oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder; sprinkle half over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in pan. Drizzle remaining oil mixture and broth over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle remaining oregano mixture over chicken. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer; baste. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting several times. Thicken pan juices if desired. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Garlic-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
"So tasty! Easy to make and only one pan to wash!"
"My chicken turned out moist & full of flavor! I was worried that cutting slits in the chicken would release the juices & dry the meat out, so I just inserted them under the skin in the breast, thighs & drumsticks. I placed the remaining garlic in the cavity. I left out the onion, but followed the rest of the recipe as is. The vegetables & the garlic were perfectly roasted & tasted so yummy! No butter or additional seasonings were required. Perfect! Will be making this recipe often."
"This was an easy recipe to make and it smelled delicious while baking. I added about 1 Tbsp. olive oil and spread it on the skin to crisp it up a little. The meat was very tender and moist. The vegetables were perfectly done too."
"This was wonderful! Everyone loved it and it turned out just perfect :)"
"My family really liked this. I thought it was pretty good. I was disappointed the chicken which was just under 5 lbs was not thoroughly cooked, despite being in the oven for 2 hrs. The vegies were great."
"This chicken was absolutely fantastic! It had such a wonderful smell while cooking and the taste exceeded my expectations. Will definitely make again. Followed the directions to a "T"."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.