Garlic-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
The first time my Greek father-in-law made this chicken, he proudly shared the recipe with me. It's my favorite way to roast chicken.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing YIELD:6 servings
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 15 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into large chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Rub inside of chicken with 2 tablespoons butter. With a sharp knife, cut 16 small slits in chicken breast, drumsticks and thighs. Place a halved garlic clove in each slit. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Place remaining garlic in pan. Pour half of the broth over chicken. Combine oil and lemon juice; pour half over chicken. Rub remaining butter over chicken. Combine the oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder; sprinkle half over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in pan. Drizzle remaining oil mixture and broth over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle remaining oregano mixture over chicken. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer; baste. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting several times. Thicken pan juices if desired. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC