Garlic Pepper Toast Recipe
"So pretty and colorful, this is one of my favorites," says field editor Mary Detweiler of West Farmington, Ohio. "It's also nice as an appetizer alongside a summer salad or winter soup."
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 each small green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion, pepper and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Add basil and garlic salt; set aside. Cut bread into 1-in. slices. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush remaining oil on one side of bread. Top with pepper mixture and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 1 to 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 256 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC