"So pretty and colorful, this is one of my favorites," says field editor Mary Detweiler of West Farmington, Ohio. "It's also nice as an appetizer alongside a summer salad or winter soup."
Recommended: 31 Easy Vegetarian Recipes with 5 Ingredients
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 each small green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, saute onion, pepper and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Add basil and garlic salt; set aside. Cut bread into 1-in. slices. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush remaining oil on one side of bread. Top with pepper mixture and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 1 to 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Garlic Pepper Toast in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p64
Reviews forGarlic Pepper Toast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 23, 2009
"This is very simple and very tasty. A good alternative to bruschetta. We look forward to making it with fresh peppers from our garden every year!"