I receive many compliments when I make these delicious breadsticks. I've passed the recipe on to a number of family members and friends.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Garlic salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 24-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut dough in half lengthwise, then into 5-in. x 1-in. strips. Twist each strip and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Brush strips with remaining butter; sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. If desired, serve with marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks in Country August/September 2001, p49
Reviews for Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2012
"It is agood side dish for spagetti"
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2009
"I put all ingredients into my breadmaker,adding an extra Tb. of flour during dough cycle and did the rest in the oven. Very good but will add 1/4 tsp more of salt next time."