Garlic Onion Focaccia Recipe
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto floured surface. Roll into 12-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 4. With the end of a wooden spoon handle, make indentations in dough at 1-in. intervals. Top with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
One slice (prepared with part-skim mozzarella cheese) equals 186 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.