I think this recipe is the perfect way to showcase our famous, local Maui sweet onions. They thrive in our balmy tropical climate and rich, volcanic soils. —Kristine Snyder, Kihei, Hawaii
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Unfold puff pastry. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastry. Spread onion mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheeses and basil; roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 16 slices.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Originally published as Garlic-Onion Appetizer Rounds in Country Woman April/May 2008, p25
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Garlic-Onion Appetizer Rounds
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review