Garlic Oatmeal Soup
This one-of-a-kind soup has a superb garlic and cheese flavor that appeals to everyone. Try serving it with crusty bread for a mouthwatering meal.Muriel Ellis, Cambellford, Ontario
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 quart water, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Add oats and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Cover and set
- aside for 5 minutes. Add bouillon, garlic and remaining water; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Add cheese, basil, salt and pepper; cook and stir
- until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: 1 cup cold leftover oatmeal may be substituted for 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 153 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 1,154 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.