Garlic Mushroom French Beef Stew Recipe
- 5 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds assorted fresh mushrooms, such as portobello, shiitake and/or oyster), sliced
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a stockpot, brown the beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons butter for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in mushrooms, potatoes, broth, wine, basil and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until beef is tender.
- 3. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into stew; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 20 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 336 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.