Garlic Mushroom Appetizer Recipe
My grandfather, who was a hotel chef for many years, created this recipe. He prepared these mushrooms for big family gatherings, and they always were gone quickly.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sliced French bread
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until crisp-tender. Add mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the vinegar, parsley and garlic. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. To serve, spoon onto slices of French bread. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 118 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC