Garlic-Mashed Rutabagas & Potatoes
My family absolutely loves mashed potatoes. I created this recipe to lighten up the calories and sneak in a serving of rutabagas. If you have the time, boil the potatoes in chicken broth to add even more flavor. —Rosemary Tatum, Sterlington, Louisiana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup warm buttermilk
- Place potatoes, rutabagas and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to
- cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes
- or until tender.
- Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter, salt,
- pepper and enough buttermilk to reach desired consistency. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 220 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein.