Garlic-Mashed Rutabagas & Potatoes Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup warm buttermilk
- 1. Place potatoes, rutabagas and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter, salt, pepper and enough buttermilk to reach desired consistency. Yield: 8 servings.
2/3 cup: 220 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Garlic-Mashed Rutabagas & Potatoes
"I like rutabagas but I prefer them mashed with brown sugar and the potatoes separate."
"I've never used rutabagas before and the addition was yummy! I will definitely make this dish again!"
"This was my first time to cook a rutabaga. The dish was good, but I think I prefer regular mashed potatoes over these. But I am glad I tried and encourage others to try as well.Field Editor since July, 2013"
"Made this for Thanksgiving. I used turnips instead. I also fried bacon and used the dripping too !!!! Very Good !!!!!"