Garlic-Mashed Rutabagas & Potatoes Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup warm buttermilk
- Place potatoes, rutabagas and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter, salt, pepper and enough buttermilk to reach desired consistency. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Garlic-Mashed Rutabagas & Potatoes(3)
Sort By :
I've never used rutabagas before and the addition was yummy! I will definitely make this dish again!
This was my first time to cook a rutabaga. The dish was good, but I think I prefer regular mashed potatoes over these. But I am glad I tried and encourage others to try as well.
Field Editor since July, 2013
Made this for Thanksgiving. I used turnips instead. I also fried bacon and used the dripping too !!!! Very Good !!!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potato Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Side Dish Recipes >