- 8 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain well. Add the butter, milk and salt; mash. Stir in cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
"This is my favorite mashed potato recipe, and I use it a lot for potluck when I know people are going to want mashed potatoes. I made this for Thanksgiving a few years ago, and they were gone before my mom's. I also use them for shepherd's pie. Excellent mashed potatoes."
"Very good! I used minced garlic and cooked it over the stove with the butter and added them after the potatoes were done."
"Instead of putting garlic with the boiling potatoes, roast the garlic then combine with softened butter. No Parmesian please."
"Boiling the garlic cloves with the potatoes doesn't give these potatoes much of a garlic flavor. Instead, I chop them then saute them in some butter while the potatoes are cooking, until they are very soft, then mash them with the cooked potatoes and other ingredients. I also use 1/4 cup half & half and 1/4 cup skim milk. Makes them even creamier."
"This is the only way I do it too. Much less mess than our moms ever had. I don't peel and I leave out parmesan to lower sodium content but we love them."