Garlic-Herb Braid Recipe
Savory flavors of rosemary, dill, garlic and basil blend beautifully in this homey loaf that goes great with almost any main dish. Get ready for oohs and aahs when you bring this tender and impressive braid to the table! Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and cubed butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 169 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC