Garlic-Herb Braid Recipe
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and cubed butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet, and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in heavy-duty foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 169 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Garlic-Herb Braid
"Bread turned out good but I do not think I'm a fan of this combination of herbs in the bread."
"this is the best and it looks amazing"
"This bread turned out wonderful! It looks like you slaved over it for hours and makes a wonderful presentation on the table! I brushed my hot loaf with butter and dusted it with parmesan cheese and a dash of garlic salt and parsley! Will be making again soon!"
"This bread was great. I left out the dill."
"Easy and delicious!!"
"I loved this. It was easy, pretty and tasted delicious."
"This is an amazing recipe! Since I found it I have been making it time and time again with requests for more!"
"Easy and delicious!! I will be making this a lot more often!!"
"I made this bread for Mother's Day and it came out looking just like the picture! It tasted great and was a hit at dinner."
"Wonderful flavor. Be sure to let it rise well or is too dense."
"This is so delicious, i would definitely would make again, very easy to make!!!!!"
"A wonderfully flavored bread that can be ready to serve in 2 hours. I sauteed minced fresh garlic (2 cloves)instead of using garlic powder. I would do this again, but would use more garlic."
"Yum. Left out the dill and added about 1/2 tsp pepper. Dense and a little sweet."
"I don't usually get along very well with yeast but this was fantastic!"
"As soon as the magazine came, I made this bread to see if it would be okay to take to a family Christmas. It was delicious, so made it and took it and everyone raved about it. Am making it again this week for company. Hope there is some left to have the next day. It is so simple to fix, especially when the bread machine does all the kneading for me."
"I took this bread to work and everyone raved about how good and moist it was!"
"simple to make suprized by how much bread this makes"