Garlic-Filled Meatballs Recipe
Family and friends will go wild for these "gourmet" meatballs. I also use the chutney to top baked chicken, steaks and burgers.
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- SWEET ONION CHUTNEY:
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/4 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Toasted French bread slices (1/2 inch thick), optional
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off bulbs. Brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a bowl; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Divide into 18 portions; flatten. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon softened garlic; form beef mixture around garlic into meatballs. Set remaining garlic aside.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in batches until browned on all sides and meat is no longer pink.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add onion; cook for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat; stir in the vinegar, sugar, pepper and remaining roasted garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 5. Drain meatballs; top with chutney and goat cheese. Serve with toasted French bread if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3 each: 355 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Garlic-Filled Meatballs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC