- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Place the onions, celery, carrots, cranberries, garlic and bay leaf in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add wine or broth. Combine the salt, pepper and basil; sprinkle over chicken. Place over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid; discard vegetable mixture. Skim fat from liquid and set aside 1-1/3 cups.
- For sauce, place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 3 minutes; drain and discard liquid. Set berries aside.
- In a nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in half-and-half and reserved cranberries; heat through. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garlic Cranberry Chicken in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p16
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Garlic Cranberry Chicken(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- Garlic Chicken >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >