Garlic Clove Chicken
“My Greek neighbors made Garlic Clove Chicken frequently, and I couldn’t get enough of it,” writes Denise Hollebeke of Penhold, Alberta. “If you like garlic, you’ll love this chicken.”
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried tarragon, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Stuff onion in chicken; tie drumsticks together. Arrange garlic
- cloves around chicken. In a small bowl, combine the remaining
- ingredients. Drizzle over chicken and garlic.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-3/4 hours. Uncover; bake 30-45
- minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting
- occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken
- browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before
- slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.