Garlic Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup sliced green onion, divided
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken, water and 2 teaspoons garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken; reserve liquid. Cut chicken into thin strips. Set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add remaining garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add chilies and seasoning; saute 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in chicken broth, cream and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted. Combine 1 cup of the cheese sauce and chicken; set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet, heat oil. Dip tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil just until limp, about 5 seconds on each side. Place on paper towels to drain. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon green onion. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour remaining sauce evenly over tortillas. Cover and bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with remaining green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Two enchiladas equals 706 calories, 48 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 149 mg cholesterol, 1,289 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.