Garlic Cheese Grits
My dad prepared this family favorite every Christmas morning. Grits are a true Southern specialty. The garlic and cheese add a tasty touch.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process American cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- Additional cheese, optional
- Cook grits according to package directions. Add cheese, butter and
- garlic salt; stir until cheese and butter are melted. In a measuring
- cup, beat egg; add milk to measure 1/2 cup. Stir into grits.
- Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 325 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 806 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.