Garlic Cheese Breadsticks Recipe
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, 1 tablespoon oil and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; press dough to edges of pan. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with parsley, basil and garlic. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Cut into 20 strips. Serve warm. Yield: 20 breadsticks.
Originally published as Garlic Cheese Breadsticks in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p19
Reviews for Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012
"I make this recipe all the time. It's very quick and they are good with a meal or stand alone as a party appetizer."