Garlic Cheese Biscuits
"This is a savory variation on my favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe," notes Gayle Becker of Mt. Clemens, Michigan. Shredded cheddar cheese adds nice color, and a tasty butter mixture brushed on top of these drop biscuits provides a burst of garlic flavor.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, baking
- powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon bouillon; cut in shortening
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese. Stir in
- buttermilk just until moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto a greased baking
- sheet. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Combine butter with
- remaining garlic powder; brush over biscuits. Bake 4 minutes longer
- or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 210 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.