"This is a savory variation on my favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe," notes Gayle Becker of Mt. Clemens, Michigan. Shredded cheddar cheese adds nice color, and a tasty butter mixture brushed on top of these drop biscuits provides a burst of garlic flavor.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon bouillon; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Combine butter with remaining garlic powder; brush over biscuits. Bake 4 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Garlic Cheese Biscuits in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p48
Reviews for Garlic Cheese Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review