With its pleasant squash and garlic flavor and golden-orange color, this rich and creamy soup is sure to be a hit whether you serve it for an everyday meal or a holiday dinner. -Della Clarke Vista, California
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 4 medium onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 pounds), peeled and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional heavy whipping cream and minced fresh sage, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulbs, but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulbs, exposing individual cloves; brush with oil. Wrap each in foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cloves are soft. Unwrap and cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 1/2 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Squeeze garlic from skins into a small bowl; mash with a fork and stir into soup. In batches, process soup in a blender until smooth; return to pan.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cream, salt, pepper and remaining butter; heat through. If desired, garnish servings with additional cream and sage. Yield: 9 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Garlic Butternut Bisque in Taste of Home August/September 2004, p30
Reviews for Garlic Butternut Bisque
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review